Sunday, July 7, 2013

Week 1: Welcome to the world Mr. Max

Max Robert Dabb decided to join this world a little bit earlier than we expected, but we're not complaining! It started on Friday, June 21 when my water broke around 11am. Rob was working about 40 minutes away so he headed home, I showered and finished packing, and we were on the way to the doctor's office to get checked out. We knew at that point that he would be here that day or the next since they don't let you go longer than 24 hours after your water breaks without delivering. Around 2pm, they gave me the option of going home to start my labor or get admitted into the hospital (I was at 1.5 cm) and I decided to go home so I could eat!

We headed back to the hospital at 6pm and I was at 4cm, so we checked in for the long haul. I made it to about 7cm before giving in to the epidural and by about 11pm I was feeling much better and tingling from the waist down. At that time I had progressed to 8cm and the doctor predicted I would deliver by "1:11am, no let's make that 1:12am." He was half kidding, but I started to push around 12:45am and, believe it or not, he was out by 1:13am! Those first few hours were just amazing, nothing will ever compare!

We stayed in the hospital for the next two days and had three visitors while we were there, including Grandma Bonnie, Grandma Karen and Grandma Sue. We went home on Monday and that night Grandpa Alan and Uncle Alex arrived in Connecticut. It was such a huge help to have so much family around in those first few days. We were as prepared as we could have been, but nothing can prepare you for that first week. We cannot say thank you enough to our parents for all of their help with cooking and cleaning and holding and supporting.

Now about Max that first week. Max had a few trips to the doctor that week to check his weight. On our first trip out of the house, we forgot a diaper bag!! At least we were able to laugh about it. It took a few nights to figure out a routine, but otherwise he is a great sleeper. In addition to sleeping A LOT, he ate and pooped...and looked adorable in his first week. Below are a few pics from his first week.

Even though they weren't here in person, we felt the love all the way from California.

Baby Max in the hospital.

My first meal after delivery...Vending machine spaghetti and meatballs. I was STARVING and couldn't order breakfast until 6:45am.

My two boys :)

I signed up to walk a 5k this weekend! Max ended up being my marathon haha!

The grandmas decorated our house for Baby Max's arrival.

First bath at home.

First responders!

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I feel like I was there for his first week!

    ReplyDelete